O-1 (Creative Fields and General)
To qualify for an O-1 visa, you must demonstrate that you possess extraordinary ability in the arts, sciences, business, education, athletics, or the motion picture or television industry. You must show that you have achieved sustained or international acclaim. You must be coming to the United States to perform temporary services for a U.S. employer relating to an event or events.
Extraordinary ability means that you have achieved a high level of expertise such that you are one of a small percentage at the top of your field. Artists and entertainers must show a degree of skill and recognition substantially above that normally encountered, and is prominent, renowned, leading or well-known in their artistic field. The O-1 visa is available to foreign nationals engaged in most creative fields, such as, but not limited to, photography, culinary arts, hair and make-up arts, and design.
O-1 visa holders must be entering the United States to perform temporary services for an American employer or an agent of an international employer. You must be entering the United States to participate in a specific event or events which require your expertise. The O-1 visa petition requires specific evidence of your qualifications and international recognition of your extraordinary ability. You may prove your ability in the field by showing that you have received an internationally-recognized award, such as a Nobel Prize.
You can also document at least three of the following:
- Internationally or nationally recognized prizes or awards;
- Published material about your work;
- Membership in an association that requires members to have outstanding achievement;
- Original scientific, scholarly, or business-related contributions of major significance in the field;
- Authorship of scholarly articles published in any type of major media or professional journals;
- High salary or any other type of compensation;
- Participation on a panel, or as a judge for other people’s works;
- Evidence of past employment for organizations or establishments that have a high reputation.
If the above standards do not readily apply to the alien’s occupation, you may submit comparable evidence in order to establish your eligibility. Please Call for more information